Monday, November 24, 2008

Advice, please.

Dear Abby,
I miss my best friend. I haven't talked to her for about 6 months. Well actually, I would say more like 9 months. It all started back in January when she was contemplating going on a first date with a guy I'll call "Mr. Irish". The one thing I truly dislike about her is that she tends to drop everyone when she starts dating a guy. We've been through it a couple times before. Trying to get a hold of her is impossible. She's pretty much MIA.
After her whole 'first date fiasco', we didn't talk or hang out for at least 3 weeks. And when we did she wasn't even "there". Her mind was elsewhere the whole time, even though SHE was the one who insisted we hangout-since I sent my exfiance home on an airplane the day before. It was kinda pointless, since I ended up having to listen to her gush mushy lovey dovey stories. Fast forward 3 quiet, best friend-less months to May. After calling and leaving her a message, she surprisingly called me back 5 minutes later. About 30 minutes into our major catch up phone call and almost exhausting every topic under the sun, she finally pipes up to say that she & Mr. Irish are engaged to be married in October. We talked a couple more times that month and the wedding was moved up to August and finally to July. She wanted me to be her Maid of Honor, as well as....
..the Photographer...
....the Wedding planner...
......sew her wedding dress...
........make her bouquet...
.........make the wedding invitations...
...........and set the songlist.
I had no problem with everything she asked of me, because she was my best friend and I know that she would do exactly the same thing for me in a heartbeat. However, problems started to arise when she wouldn't return my phone calls, IM's or text messages. How was I suppose to help her, if communication was lacking. This went on for several weeks til finally I was able to get a hold of her. Time is of the essence when planning a wedding. I just wanted to accomplish everything we needed in a timely manner. I knew that making the dress alone would take at least a week or two. One Friday evening when we were to get together, she totally bailed. No call--NOTHING. Not cool! I tried to get a hold of her at her Mom's house, where she said she'd be that evening and the Mom knew nothing about it. I finally had it. I was done! How was I suppose to help her if she wasn't willing to communicate with me?! Why pour more time and effort into planning a wedding, when the bride wasn't even helping out?! So I sent her an email just saying that I was done and I didn't appreciate the way was she ditching me & our friendship, since day one of hooking up with Mr. Irish. She never responded to the email and I didn't attend her wedding. We haven’t communicated since.
No, I'm not jealous. I'm happy she finally found someone to marry. I just wish I didn't have to lose a best friend in the process. Now I don't know what to do, because I miss her terribly. I've known her for as long as I can remember. She knows all of my secrets and she’s the closest thing I’ve had as a sister. I miss her family, they're wonderful people. There's so much I wish I could talk to her about. So many changes in my life these last 9 months. I'm sure a lot has changed in her life as well, and I would love to hear about it. I just wish I knew how to go about in being her friend again. Or maybe the ball's in her court? I don't know. All I know is that as the holiday season arrives, I wish I could turn back the hands of time to last year as we hung out at the Hotel Del Coronado. That was a great day. So much fun! I miss it. I miss her.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...