Saturday, January 28, 2012

San Diego, I LOVE YOU!

Last night, I went out with one of my good ol' friends, Rudy.  Cool guy, I've known him since my single digit years.... I think since we were 8 or 9 years old, in Primary.  Time surely flies.  It's cool that we're still friends and live in the same general area. We were texting back and forth about being hungry and not knowing what to eat.  He introduced me to this AWESOME TJ style taco stand in town. LOVE IT!! But we eat there all the time.  So we ended up at SONIC!!!!
Oh man, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this place!!  I haven't been there since Summer 2010 while I was up in Utah.  I'm so glad that Rudy suggested this place!! It's about 20 min. east of us, but it always seemed farther, til tonight. LOVE!!! I'm DEFINITELY going back soon!!

Rudy and I had been talking for months about going to eat at my FAVORITE dessert spot here in town, EXTRAORDINARY DESSERTS!!!
Yesterday was National Chocolate Cake day!!! SO YUMMY DELICIOUS!!! Although this wasn't my beloved Viking cake, it was just as good. 

Since we were near downtown San Diego, we cruised on over to the Spruce Street bridge.  I use to work near it, but never checked it out. Heard about it, but didn't exactly know what type of bridge it was.... til last night. Oh man!! It's a SUSPENSION bridge!!!!  As in, it's suspended from one side to the other and is NOTHING. LIKE. THE. ONES. AT. A. PLAYGROUND.!!!! I mean, there are some SERIOUS wires attached. Some larger than my arm!! So you know this is some serious business!!


At first, I was thinking, "Sure, I'll try it, not like it REALLY moves?!" Wrong, SO wrong! Oh man, it was scary/trippy.  I had to take it in increments.  Got about 1/4 in, then turned back because it was wobbly. Went back to the start and assessed it.
Start again.
Got 1/2 in on the bridge. (but didn't know it was half way while I was standing on this wobbly and shaking bridge that's suspended 70 feet above the ground!)  I bolted back to the start and assessed it, again!! (It was easier to go back the start because the car was on that side, of course.)   Have I mentioned that Rudy's by my side the whole time trying to encourage me and not make fun of me--at least, not aloud.  I REALLY wanted to get to the other side!! Not for the scenery, because it was dark but because I'd get over a fear of doing something scary! It's funny how "bragging rights" can be a HUGE motivator!! 
Start again. 
Rudy was a huge help! He was doing his very, VERY best to distract me and ask me all sorts of questions as I was doing my very, VERY best to get to the other side, quickly!!!
I had never been so happy to see the other side of a bridge!!!  Then I realized that we couldn't get home until we returned back.  5 minutes to breathe and accept that fact. 
Start again. 
Got 1/8 in and realized that the bridge is completely suspended from the start, so that means IMMEDIATE boucing, shaking, and wobbling going on!!! Since Rudy's right behind me, I can't easily turn around, nor do I REALLY want to be running, on a suspended brige, in front of someone--not the prettiest sight.
Thought pattern:
Breathe.
Step forward.
Breathe.
Grip hand rail for dear life.
Breathe.
Step forward.
Breathe.
Try to answer Rudy's incessantly distracting questions.
Breathe.
Repeat.

I was SO proud of myself that I did it!! Sure, it took about 30 minutes to do, but I DID IT!!!
And I'm glad. It was kinda fun. KINDA.

Afterwards, we drove down to the harbor to see the "Victory Kiss" statue. I've been wanting to see it for a while, and luckily a friend told me exactly where to find it. Of course, we couldn't see it all too well because it was about midnight. But it was still cool to see. There were also statues to celebrate all that Bob Hope did in the USO. The shape and sculpture of the statues were so lifelike. It was kinda freaky.  But it was a nice tribute to Bob. 
All in all, it was a fun night!  It was a very cool San Diego night!!  I sometimes forget how LUCKY, BLESSED and FORTUNATE I am to live in such an AWESOME city!!! I couldnt be any luckier to call this place home.  Love it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...