Sunday, September 7, 2008

Be an Organ & Tissue Donor!

As I was renewing my license via internet, I had the option of becoming (actually, continue being) an organ donor and contributing $2 to promote and support organ and tissue donation. I wanted to repost this blog from a year and a half ago about some insightful statistics, facts and information on organ and tissue donations. I feel like this is an incredibly significant cause and wanted to share this with all of you.

The Urgent Need For Organs: As of Sept. 3, 2008, 99,450 men, women and children currently await life saving transplants. Right now nearly 20,000 Californians wait for an organ transplant. Every 12 minutes, another name is added to the national transplant waiting list. An average of 18 people die each day due to the lack of available organs for transplant.

How YOU Can Donate: Indicate your wish on your driver's license or state I.D> when you apply or renew it. Join the donor registry in your state. Visit "http://donatelife.net/" to find out if your state has one. Complete a donor card (available at donate life.net) and keep it with you. Put donation in your will or living will. Tell your family (very important). They may be consulted before donation.

You have the power to donate life: sign up today to become an organ and tissue donor. Your generosity can save up to eight lives through organ donation and enhance another 50 through tissue donation.

You do not have to donate all of your organs: You may specify the ones you will offer. Neither age nor medical history should prevent you from becoming a donor. For more information, visit the official U.S. government Web site for organ and tissue donation at http://www.organdonor.gov./

I appreciate the time and effort you've given to read through this blog. The subject of organ donation is very important to me. Not that I've ever had to participate in it as a recipient, but I feel like it's something that doesn't get too much attention. I think being able to give someone another chance at life is amazing and very self less. Thanks again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...