Wednesday, April 16, 2014

La Boheme!

If you've ever been to AMC theatre to watch a movie, you might have caught an advertisement for Fathom Events.  Fathom Events shows operas that are currently playing at the MET, in NYC.  About two weeks ago I came across a Fathom Event post on Facebook, so I looked into it and found that La Boheme would be showing at the AMC close to my work.  I threw it out there on FB to see if anyone would be interested in going.  In the end, I ended up going by myself to see it, last Wednesday.
Oh man... it was beautiful.  I loved Act 1, it was so beautiful.  Especially when Rodolfo tells Mimi about himself and how he lives, in the aria, "Che Gelida Manina".  I'm not gonna lie, tears came to my eyes because of how BEAUTIFUL it all was.  I marvel at what the human body can produce in the way of beautiful singing.   I closed my eyes at one point, because I wanted to feel the music penetrate my soul.  It was breathtakingly beautiful.  There's really no other way to describe the opera. 
It was such a wonderful opera.  Can't say it was my favorite since I have always loved Madama Butterfly, but you could say that I'm definitely a fan of Puccini.  I was especially amazed by the singer who played Mimi.
The night before she played Cho-Cho San in Madama Butterfly.  She didn't fall asleep until 5am the next morning, just to receive a phone call at 7:30am, asking if she could fill in for the part of Mimi! The scheduled singer had fallen ill and a replacement was needed immediately for the matinee performance at noon!  So on 2.5 hours of sleep, she filled in and played the part MARVELOUSLY!! It was gorgeous!! She was amazing!!  The running joke was that she was the only singer to die twice within 18 hours, on the same stage at the MET.  Also, she's the first person to ever have back to back performances, for two different operas, at the MET.  I loved her voice! 
I love the opera.  There is something so exquisite about the music, the singing, the performance and the orchestra.  All of it is something everyone should experience once in their life time.  It makes me so sad that the San Diego Opera will be closing its doors after 49 years.  Such a sad loss to the art & culture of San Diego.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...