Monday, September 29, 2014

Song of the Heart

Yesterday, in Fast & Testimony Meeting, a brother bore his testimony of the hymn, "I Am a Child of God", that was sung in the General Women's Meeting the evening before.  It was neat learning that Naomi W. Randall, who penned the words to this beautiful hymn, had a daughter in our ward. In Relief Society, we were given the challenge to think of a hymn through out the week, during times of happiness or sadness and anytime in between.  I love the hymns.  I love the hymns, "I Stand All Amazed" and "Have I Done Any Good?", but the one that touched my heart so much last night was, "I Am a Child of God".  
I love this hymn, I always have.  I remember when I was a young girl in Primary, I would cry every time we sang this song. It just made me so sentimental to think that I have a Heavenly Father who loves me. It also made me think of my parents that I loved so much and our home, all of which came from God.  I was probably about 4 or 5, but whenever we would sing it, I would walk over to my Mom (who was a Sr. Primary teacher) sobbing and wanting to be held. Instead, she would turn me right back around and send me back to my class row.  :(  {I think it was just her way of teaching me to grow up and be reverent...at least that's what I'm hoping}  I've always loved this song because I think it's such a simple way to know why we're here on this Earth and where we go after this life.   It's one of the first songs that are taught to Primary children.  How reassuring to know, at such an early age, that you have a Heavenly Father who loves you so much, that he would give you earthly parents to teach you everything you need to know in order to return back to Him.
I'm not gonna lie, I still tear up a bit whenever I sing this hymn.  These days, I like to think that this is the song I'll rock my sweet little babies to, as I put them to sleep.  I want my babies to know that they have a loving Heavenly Father who wants them to be good and learn & do all that they can, so they can return back to Him someday.  What a sweet message of hope and love!

I Am a Child of God

1. I am a child of God,
And he has sent me here,
Has given me an earthly home
With parents kind and dear.

Chorus
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me,
Help me find the way.
Teach me all that I must do
To live with him someday.

2. I am a child of God,
And so my needs are great;
Help me to understand his words
Before it grows too late.

3. I am a child of God.
Rich blessings are in store;
If I but learn to do his will,
I'll live with him once more.

4. I am a child of God.
His promises are sure;
Celestial glory shall be mine
If I can but endure.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...