Friday, June 10, 2011

Empathy & Faith.

This week, I've had the opportunity to reflect on such wise counsel;
"that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good. "
A couple weeks ago, when I was set apart as my ward's Relief Society president, I've remembered certain words that have stuck with me.  In the blessing, it was pronounced that I would be able to share my knowledge, experience and wisdom with the sisters that I serve. I've debated sharing that on my blog, but it might give some basis for the rest of this post.  
Since Saturday, this week has been pretty crummy.  Montana dumped me.  It hurt. No one likes to be rejected.  I wasn't expecting it and he basically ripped me a new one for ditching him.   I've been trying to think of how I could get out of that relationship because in a year's time I want to be at BYU-Hawaii.   He's not LDS and I want to get married in the temple, when & if marriage happens.  I was reading my Patriarchal blessing on Tuesday and there was something that stood out that I had never really paid attention to before.  I prayed about it.  I've been praying a lot more lately.  I need it.  I've been trying fervently to trust in the Lord because I need it for myself, for my life, for my family and for church.  
Getting my heart stomped on was rough.  No one likes that.  It took a lot to trust in the Lord and know that my deeper desires of a higher education and a celestial marriage meant more than the temporary heartache I was currently experiencing.  I had to suck it up, KNOW that Heavenly Father knew best for my life and be okay with all of it.  
Once I started to realize that, I started to think of my setting apart.  In my 30 years of life, I think I've done a lot in my life to be able to have knowledge, experience and wisdom to share with the sisters I'm blessed to serve.  It made me think of this quote I love and I once heard from Ardeth G. Kapp:
"I am glad He allows us to struggle, to cry and to feel pain, else how can we comfort others in their tribulation.  I am glad to know about hurt and healing, else how would we know of a healer, the great Physician, who invites us to come unto Him and be healed.  I am glad to know about fear and faith, else how would we recognize the light of faith after the dark night of fear.  I'm glad to know about offenses and forgiveness, else how could we ever begin to appreciate the Atonement.  I'm glad to know about discouragement and encouragement, else how could we reach out, take another's hand in empathy, understanding and love.  I'm glad to know about the grace of God and His infinite love for each of us. It is with faith in God's Eternal plan that our spiritual dimension is expanded, enlarged and magnified, and we begin to understand things that were beyond our reach previously."
Thinking in this manner has helped tremendously. The sting doesn't hurt as much and the glass is still half full :) 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...