Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Auntie Mame = Tia Ehu

When I was a kid, I remember watching Auntie Mame with my Mom.  It was an old movie about an eccentric aunt who took in her nephew, after her brother's unexpected death.   
For some reason, this movie always stuck with me. I guess I liked it because she was such a free spirit, and I was already an aunt at the time I watched this (I was 10).  I always wanted to grow up to be fun & exciting like Auntie Mame!  
I've loved being an aunt.  It's been such a pleasure.  But I guess I'm going through some withdraws because 2 of my nephews are adults [21 & 19 y/o] and the other two kids are growing up so quickly! So now I've started to "adopt" my friends' kids....
I LOVE my friends & cousins children, as if they're my own nephews & nieces.  Lately, I've been so fond of my friend Nash's lil girl.  Oh I love her to pieces!! I can't get enough of her! And I LOOOOOOVE the fact that Nash refers to me as, "Tia Ehu" ('Tia' is 'Aunt' in Spanish).  I have other friends who refer to me as 'Auntie Ehu' when they're speaking to their kids--I LOVE IT!! In Hawaii, it's a sign of respect & a term of endearment to refer to men & women as, "uncle" & "auntie".  I know that when I have children someday, my closest friends will be my children's "aunties" & "uncles".  I can't wait for the day... 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...