Monday, April 12, 2010

Meniere's Disease.....

This past weekend was spent in bed. Kinda nice, kinda not....
For the last year I've been living with Meniere's Disease. I hate it, I truly do. I would never wish it upon my worst enemy. I don't know how it started or why I have it, but I do. There's no cure for it, all I can do is just live with it. Somedays are better than others and I'm learning how to better cope with it. My biggest worry is that I will lose more of my hearing, thus effecting my singing and piano playing. Of course I worry about loss of employment, losing my driving ability and not being able to travel [flying], but I'd be so bummed if music was effected.
I just wanted to post some information about what the heck this Meniere's Disease is all about:

Meniere's Disease is a disorder of the inner ear that causes abnormal sensory perceptions, including a sensation of a spinning motion (vertigo), hearing loss usually in one ear, fullness or pressure in the same ear, and ringing in the same ear (tinnitus).

The primary signs and symptoms of Meniere's disease are:
  • Recurring episodes of vertigo. Vertigo is similar to the sensation you experience if you spin around quickly several times and suddenly stop. You feel as if the room is still spinning, and you lose your balance. Episodes of vertigo occur without warning and usually last 20 minutes to two hours or more. Severe vertigo can cause nausea and vomiting.
  • Hearing loss in Meniere's disease may fluctuate, particularly early in the course of the disease. Eventually, most people experience some degree of permanent hearing loss.
  • Tinnitus is the perception of a ringing, buzzing, roaring, whistling or hissing sound in your ear.
  • Aural fullness. Aural fullness is the feeling of fullness or pressure in the ear.

What is the treatment for Meniere's disease?
There is no cure for Meniere’s disease, but your doctor can suggest ways to manage your symptoms. He or she may recommend that you try to control the attacks by changing your diet. You will probably have to limit your salt intake. Controlling the level of salt in your body will indirectly control the amount of fluid in your inner ear. A medicine called a diuretic (water pill) may also help. You should limit the amount of caffeine and alcohol in your diet, and quit smoking if you smoke. Your doctor can prescribe medicine to relieve feelings of dizziness and nausea. These medicines may cause you to feel sleepy. In serious cases of Meniere's disease (when attacks can't be controlled by diet or medicine), surgery may be necessary.

Sucks, right?? I know....but it could be worse! Thank goodness it's not...for now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...