Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Chip Off the Ol' Block....

My dear darling niece....

When she was 6 years old, we were at a birthday party at a Balboa Park. Before I had her eat, I called her over so we could walk down to the restrooms to wash our hands. While we walked she asked me, "Why do you have to be so perfect all the time?". I didn't think she meant that literally, so I asked her what she meant by it. She said, "Why do you always have to have your hands clean and perfect all the time?". Ahhhh, so that's what she meant...to have clean hands. I told her it's because I don't like having dirty hands when I'm about to eat. She was okay with that answer. Honestly, it's because I don't like germs, having sticky hands or dirty hands in general.

Fast forward 3 years:
She was going to give me a hug, til she stopped and said, "I can't, I was holding the cat". It started to make me wonder, 'Does she really know me that well? Since I don't like holding the cat, she didn't want to hug me because she held the cat? Wow, she DOES know me!!" Aww, my Girlie, so thoughtful!

Today:
While eating lunch outside at Costco, she said, "Uggghh, that's gross". She was looking past me, so I turned around and saw two boys chasing each other. No big deal. I asked her what was wrong. She said, "Those boys were running and one of them touched the trash! UGGHH!! He did it AGAIN, RIGHT NOW!! [I turned around and must have missed it by a few seconds] He touched the trash right where it opens! (with a disgusted face) That's just gross!!!"
I started to think, "Is this my doing? Have I really turned her into a germaphobe?? Like me?!". I got up to get a refill and as I sat back down she said, (with a scrunched up face) "Ugh, now he's sitting on the ground, that's SO dirty!!". I turned around and saw the little boy sitting on the ground--and I rationalized it as just being a boy thing and not being grossed out about it...like I usually would be....like how my niece was currently reacting.

Tonight:
I was telling my sister about our little outing to Costco. She laughed and told me of an incident my niece had at school, with her crush. The other day she noticed that he wore the same jacket to school and wore the sleeves down past his wrists. He happened to sneeze right into his hands and she was grossed out by it.

Right now:
I think I've turned my niece into a germaphobe. Sorry Girlie.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...