Thursday, November 8, 2012

Emergency Preparedness.

Lately, I've been feeling like my family needs to be more emergency prepared.  Since Hurricane Sandy hit, the feeling has hit home even more!  I served my mission in New Jersey and Sandy has affected those that I know.  I've been thinking a lot about what if a disaster struck here in San Diego....would I be prepared?  More so, are things prepared for my parents, as well?  It scares me a bit, because I know that I'm not as prepared as I need to be.
Late in 2007, when wildfires were popping up all over in San Diego, we had to prepare ourselves in case an evacuation notice came.  I was scared, because I wasn't ready to lose my home and be in the middle of an emergency situation.  I remember how scary the sky looked, because at high noon, it was a creepy shade of deep orange and grey.  My family quickly packed bags of clothes and important/valuable items.   We also emptied out our cupboards of food, into several huge containers.  My Mom had important documents in her locked, fireproof case, already in the van.  In an hour, we were ready to go, in case we received a reverse 911 call.  Our area was on high alert til the next morning.  I was relieved when the alert went down and we were able to relax, a little bit.
The fact that I've been having the feeling to be more prepared worries me.  I'm grateful for the feeling, because it's like a voice of warning.  Over breakfast this morning, my Mom mentioned that my Dad has been feeling like we should start working more on our emergency preparedness.  It hit me, when she mentioned that.  I need to act more on these feelings and get things going.  Luckily, I already have been extra food when I go to the grocery store, however, I know there's more things I need to get.  Thank heavens for the Provident Living website on LDS.org.  I'm so thankful that my church makes an important emphasis on being prepared for an emergency.

"...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear."
Doctrine & Covenants 38:30
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...