Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happy Birthday Thomas Aikau!!

Today's my Kuku's (In Hawaiian, Grandfather is Tutu Kane, but we changed it up a lil) birthday. He would have been 91 years old, but he passed away 6 years ago. I was just thinking of him today. I miss him. I wish I could have known him better. I always enjoyed his visits from Hawaii and Utah. Every time he flew in from O'ahu, he'd have a pink box with white ribbon wrapped around it. The pretty pink box was filled with Chinese Tea cookies for my oldest brother Dave. I remember my Kuku teaching me Spanish on a flight to Hawaii once, "Mi casa es su casa". Apparently I was his favorite granddaughter and Dave, was his favorite grandson. He treated us like it too. I always cried my eyes out whenever he and my Tutu (Grandmother) flew back home.
I think out of all of their 17 grandchildren, I knew them the least. My grandparents lived in Hawaii for most of their lives and then moved over to Orem, Utah to help with my uncle's 7 kids. Unlike my brothers and all but 7 of my cousins, I didn't grow up around them in Hawaii...so I was only fortunate enough to enjoy their company whenever they came to visit. I miss him and my Tutu so much. I wish I could have one more day with them to just sit on the edge of the bed and talk with them like we always did. I'd hold their hands, hug them tight, and take in their sweet aroma again. I miss kneeling by the bedside with them to say morning and evening prayers. In the end, I was fortunate enough to talk to him just days before he passed. He kept repeating, "I love you Ehu, I love you". I miss him so much. I can't wait to see him again.
Happy Birthday Kuku!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...