Sunday, June 15, 2008

MR. AMAAAAAAAAAAAZING!



My Dad is a pretty amazing man. Mosese Lomu was born in 1936 in Vava’u, Tonga. He joined the LDS church in his late teens, just a couple of years before he went on an LDS Church Service mission. I've always admired the adventures of his mission. He traveled all around the south Pacific helping build chapels and various church buildings, even the Polynesian Cultural Center. He knows all of the Polynesian languages. While on his mission, he was the rugby team captain, in a movie with Elvis Presley (“Paradise-Hawaiian Style”), married my mother in the La’ie LDS temple, and had my oldest brother---quite a mission if you ask me.
My father has done a lot for our family and I. I appreciate the way he’s taught my brothers, by example, of how to honor the Priesthood and be chivalrous towards women. It set the standard of what type of man I want as a husband someday. He’s taught me so many things, by example. Growing up he wasn’t really around, but for good reason. He worked a lot. He was the best crane operator/rigger in all of San Diego. He provided a comfortable life for our family. When he wasn’t working, he always seemed to be busy moving someone in or out of our ward/congregation [he owned a truck & a blazer] or involved in some sort of service for someone. He once told me that LDS also means “Let’s do service”. He’s rarely said ‘no’ to anyone and has taught my brothers and I to do the same. During my senior year of high school he got me interested in watching the San Diego Padres. It’s something I value to this day. Since he lost his sight about 10 years ago, I enjoy being able to talk about baseball with him & telling him who’s on base. My father’s taught me a lot. Of all the lessons he’s taught me, of these 3 do I respect the most:
-The Gospel‘s been restored.
-Baseball is life.
-Chevys are better than Fords.

I love my Dad very much. Even though he and I are sometimes too 'tenacious' for our own good, I thank my Heavenly Father for every day I have him in my life.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...