Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hymns.

I owe a lot to this book. I know to some it's just a hymn book, but I have a deep appreciation for the hymns of the gospel. "Some of the greatest sermons are preached by the singing of hymns".[First Presidency Preface] On my mission, my companions and I would sometimes sing a hymn to those we taught. There's something about hymns that really help the message hit home.
As we were practicing "O My Father" during today's choir practice, a flood of thoughts & memories came to mind. I remember a time in my life when I wasn't as active [in church] as I should have been. I was at college, living away from home. The only reason I attended church at that time was to sing the hymns, I had no other interest than just that. When I moved into a new ward, I continued with that same purpose of church attendance, but figured I'd join the ward choir this time around [more singing time :)]. A few weeks later, a call of service was extended to me to be the ward organist. Ultimately, from that call and being in such a wonderful ward my purpose for church attendance changed.
The hymns of the gospel have always had a special place in my heart. I grew up singing them every Monday for Family Home Evening. The first song my Mother ever taught me was "I Am A Child Of God". My eyes tear up everytime I sing this hymn and thoughts of my Mother come to mind. I know when I have children someday, this will be amongst the first songs I sing to them. "Teach your children to love the hymns. ...Sing hymns as lullabies to build faith and testimony in your young ones." [FPP]
I am truly grateful for the hymns and the way they've touched me and continue to change my life.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...