Wednesday, June 25, 2008

¡Yo quiero Mariachi!

[Naps: a blessing & a curse...blessing to catch up on sleep, curse when trying to go to sleep later that evening.]
At a friend's wedding reception last Saturday, her sister performed a musical piece that was sooo beautiful!! Unfortunately I'm not fluent in Spanish, but I still love the song ("Solamente Una Vez"/You Belong To My Heart). I thought it was so beautiful to have the Mariachi in the background.

Last year, my friend Ana had a wonderful wedding reception!! I LOVED every minute of it!! It was infused with a lot of her Latin culture. One of my favorite parts of the evening was when the Mariachi visited every table and played one request. Luckily at my table everyone was very "Haole" (Caucasian) so I had an advantage to the song selection. For the life of me I couldn't remember Alejandro Fernández's "Si He Sabido Amor". Oh well...the Marachi still sounded great. I love listening to Mariachis.
Growing up & living in South San Diego, I've always lived around a large population of Mexicans. I remember several occasions of a Mariachi coming to play at a neighbors' house. Once they even came to our house, on accident, and started singing. Of what I've experienced, they're used to serenade women right before a marriage proposal or other very special occasions ("A Walk in the Clouds" anyone??). From friends I've learned that a Mariachi is a big deal, a very large gesture. I know I'm not Mexican, but I would love to be serenaded by a Mariachi. I think it's such a beautiful gesture of love. At least this time around, I have several songs seared into memory, especially one that I'm sure never to forget, "Mariachi Serenade". O Amor....
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...