Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Debate Essay.

I'm not one to debate or argue.  There's not many things I feel passionate about to debate it in an essay for my English class. Especially when the assignment is to be a "friendly debate".  FRIENDLY!?! Geez, why debate at that point! So here's what I came up with:


Against beauty pageants:

 I oppose beauty pageants and the damage they do to females.   They masquerade as ‘scholarship programs’ while women parade around in revealing ball gowns and skimpy bikinis.   Beauty pageants are a hindrance towards the empowerment of women.  Most of the women who compete in a beauty pageant have been doing so since they were very young girls.  These young girls have been robbed of their childhood and forced by pushy “Stage Moms” to win large monetary prizes.  Young girls shouldn’t have to start their lives out by being judged of their physical appearance in order to gain glamour and prizes.  Some of them have even been exploited by their gowns/outfits and stage performances.  Why are we allowing our children to grow up in such a manner, most especially young girls?  After puberty, girls have a higher rate in developing depression than boys do.  Since girls reach puberty before boys do, they are susceptible to develop it at an earlier age.  Besides the emotional damage that can come, it also gives young girls the false sense that all they have to do in life is flash a pretty smile and the world will shower them with large amount of money and prizes. 
sources: 
http://pageantcenter.com/history.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression/MH00035


It was an assignment, that's all it was....at first.  I didn't really care much about the topic, but I had to pick something 'friendly' and 'debatable'.  I don't feel extremely passionate about the topic, but I'll have to since I'll need to back up the reasoning behind it.

****sigh****

I wish I liked to debate....or felt passionate about such a topic.... GRR!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...