Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thoughts on a Thursday: Friendship.

For once, today doesn't feel like a Thursday. I'm kinda bummed about that.  Usually, I can FEEL it. Today, not so much.  I wonder why?

I've been thinking of friends and friendship.  

I am sincerely grateful for family and friends who know me so well.  I'm thankful for those who understand what comes out of me, when sometimes I have no explanation.  

Yesterday, a new acquaintance "noticed" some things about me and my personality.  It surprised me and gave me things to think about.  I didn't think his assessment was completely accurate so I talked to Mr. Red about it.  He reassured me that I wasn't off in thinking that assessment and my personality weren't aligned with one another.  Then I started to think of my friendship with him.  A couple weeks ago, we talked about how well he knows me. I said, "I think you could possibly know me the best, at church." [amongst friends who've known me for years and some, since high school] He confidently replied, "I do know you the best."   Part of me was a little terrified because of his bold declaration. But it's true, he's right.  
I have some reservations about trusting people and "letting them in".  I don't trust easily because I hate being hurt. I'm grateful for loved ones who just get what I'm saying and sometimes, see beyond that and hear what's not being said.  
After our conversation, I sent him a text: 
"I'm very thankful you speak "Ehu" and that you just get me."  
I don't do so well at always communicating what's on my mind or in my heart.  I'm scared to get hurt.  But I'm thankful that he gets me, that he listens to what I say and especially to what I don't say and in the end, tolerates my idiosyncrasies.  (Heaven knows I have a lot of them!)  
I'm thankful for all my friends who speak "Ehu" and  when I rarely have to explain what I mean, because they know me.  
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...